The City Mouse comes to visit his old friend, the Country Mouse, who lives in the country. They have’t met for a long time, so they are very happy to see each other.
城市老鼠來拜訪他的老朋友,住在鄉下的鄉下老鼠。他們很久沒見面了,所以他們都很高興見到對方。
The City Mouse gets off the city bus.
城市老鼠下了都市公共汽車。
Welcome, my old friend! I am so happy to see you.
歡迎,我的老朋友!見到你我真高興。
Hello there, my old friend! I missed you very much.
你好,我的老朋友!我很想你。
You must be very hungry. Let’s go to my house. I prepared two special dishes for you.
你一定很餓了。到我家去吧。我為你準備了兩樣特別的菜。
The City Mouse and the Country Mouse arrive at the Country Mouse’s tiny, old house. The City Mouse looks surprised.
城市老鼠和鄉下老鼠到了鄉下老鼠那又小又舊的家。城市老鼠很驚訝。
My goodness! How can you live here? The house is so small and old.
我的天!這里你怎么住得下?這房子又小又舊。
Perhaps. But it’s quiet and cozy. And I am happy here.
或許吧。但它非常安靜和舒適,而且我在這里很快樂。
Hmm. Really?! I can’t understand you.
嗯,真的嗎?我不理解你。
Here is some lunch. Please eat.
這里有一些午餐。請用。
You must be kidding! Dry bread and corn? How can you eat such things?
你一定是在開玩笑吧!干面包和玉米?你怎么能吃這樣的東西?
Why?They are the best foods in the country. They taste very good.
為什么?這是鄉下最好的食物了。它們很好吃的。
No, thank you. I don’t like dry bread and corn. I like cakes, and cookies. Don’t you have any?
不了,謝謝你。我不喜歡干面包和玉米。我喜歡蛋糕和餅干,你沒有嗎?
What are they? I have never tasted them. Are they delicious?
那是什么東西?我沒有嘗過。好吃嗎?
Of course. They are so soft, so sweet and so delicious. I eat them every day in the city.
當然,它們是如此的柔軟、香甜和美味。我在城里每天都吃。
Wow?! You are a lucky mouse! I would like to taste them someday, too.
哇?!你是只幸運的老鼠!我也想有一天能嘗一嘗。
Please visit me anytime. I’ll show you the city. And you can eat delicious food every day. I have a great idea!
你隨時都可以來拜訪我。我會帶你去看看城市,而且你每天都可以吃到好吃的食物。我有個好主意。
What is it?
什么?
Visit me today!
今天就來拜訪我!
The City Mouse and the Country Mouse get on a bus to the city.
城市老鼠和鄉下老鼠搭上了往城市去的公共汽車。
We get off here.
我們在這里下車。
Wow! Look at the tall building and bright lights. The city is so beautiful.
哇!看看那高樓和明燈,城市是如此的漂亮。
What is that?
那是什么?
It’s a trunk. Be careful!
那是卡車,小心!
Oh, I didn’t know.
哦,我不知道。
The City Mouse and the Country Mouse finally arrive at the City Mouse’s red brick house.
城市老鼠和鄉下老鼠終于到了城市老鼠的紅磚屋。
That is my house. Let’s go inside.
那是我家。我們進去吧。
Wow! Your house is so big and beautiful. You are a lucky mouse.
哇!你的家真大真漂亮,你是只幸運的老鼠。
Let’s go into the kitchen. I’m so hungry.
我們到廚房去吧,我很餓。
Look! Cheese!
看!奶酪!
Stop! Don’t touch it!
別動!不要動它!
Why not?! I love cheese.
為什么?我喜歡奶酪。
That is a mousetrap. If you eat the cheese, you will get trapped. Be careful.
那是個捕鼠器。如果你吃那個奶酪,你就會被抓住的。小心。
Oh, I didn’t know.
哦,我不知道。
The City Mouse and the Country Mouse climb up to the kitchen table.
城市老鼠和鄉下老鼠爬上廚房的桌子。
You eat like this every day? There is so much food.
你每天都這樣吃嗎?這里有這么多的食物。
Here, try this chocolate cake.
來這里,嘗嘗這塊巧克力蛋糕。
Mmm. It’s so soft, so sweet, and so delicious.
嗯。它很軟、很甜又很好吃。
Try this butter cookie, too.
再嘗嘗這塊黃油餅干。
Yummy! Yummy! I want some more.
好吃!好吃!我還要吃一點。
Shh … Be quiet. I hear something.
噓……安靜,我聽到什么了。
What?
什么?
Oh no! It’s Old Yellow.
哦,不!那是老黃。
Who’s Old Yellow?
誰是老黃?
It’s the master’s dog. Hide behind the cake!
它是主人的狗。躲在蛋糕后面!
Why?
為什么?
Don’t ask questions! Just hide!
別問了!只管躲著就是了!
Old Yellow comes in the kitchen. It starts sniffing around the kitchen table.
老黃來到了廚房。它開始在廚房的桌子邊聞味道。
(in a whisper) Stay still?。?! Don’t breathe! Don’t make a sound!
(輕聲細語)不要動?。?!不要呼吸!不要發出任何聲音!
I smell mice. Come out, come out.
我聞到老鼠的味道。出來,出來。
Old Yellow starts barking and running around the table.
老黃開始繞著桌子邊狂叫和奔跑。
I’m so afraid.
我好害怕。
Me, too. But get ready to run!
我也是。但是準備好逃跑!
(Voice come from the living room) Come here, old Yellow! You need a bath.
(來自客廳的聲音)來這兒,老黃!你要洗澡了。
Old Yellow leaves the kitchen growling.
老黃咆哮著離開了廚房。
Thank goodness! Old Yellow is gone. We are safe now.
謝天謝地!老黃走了。我們現在安全了。
My goodness! How can you live here?
我的天!你怎么能住在這里?
It’s not too bad. You just have to be careful. Let’s have some more cookies.
又不是很糟。你只要小心點就行了。讓我們多吃點餅干吧。
The City Mouse and the Country Mouse start eating again.This time, Flufly, a cat, appears.
城市老鼠和鄉下老鼠又開始吃了。這一次,一只叫毛毛的貓,出現了。
Meow! Meow! Meow! I smell mice.
喵!喵!喵!我聞到老鼠的味道了。
Flufly sees the two mice and jumps up on the table.
毛毛看到那兩只老鼠并跳到桌子上。
Oh, there you are!
喔,你們在這里呀!
Quick!! Jump?。。?Run! Run! Run! Run for your life!
快!!跳?。。∨?!跑!跑呀!快逃命呀!
Help me! Help me! I didn’t know where to run!
救救我!救救我!我不知道要跑到哪里去!
Here! This way! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Inside my hole! Quickly!
這里!這個方向!快!快!快!到我的洞里來!快!
The City Mouse and the Country Mouse run into the mouse hole. Both of them are out of breath, but they are safe.
城市老鼠和鄉下老鼠跑到老鼠洞里。他們兩只都上氣不接下氣,可是他們安全了。
Are you okay? (out of breath)
你還好嗎?(喘不過氣)
Yes, but I am very scared.
還好,但是我非常害怕。
Don’t worry. Fluffy can’t get in here.
別擔心。毛毛沒辦法進來。
How can you live here? It’s so dangerous.
你怎么能住在這里?這里太危險了。
It’s not too bad. You just have to be a fast runner.
又不是很糟。你只要跑得快一點就行了。
I’m going back home.
我要回家了。
Why? Please stay a little longer!
為什么?請再多待一會兒!
No, thanks. The city is too dangerous.
不了,謝謝。城市太危險了。
But there is still a lot of food left.
可是還剩下很多事物。
You can eat it all. I’m going back to the country, and eat my dry bread and corn.
你可以把它們都吃了。我要回到鄉下去了,吃我的干面包和玉米。
But they taste terrible.
但是那很難吃呀。
Perhaps. But there are not trucks, dogs, or cats in the country.
或許吧。但是鄉下沒有卡車、狗或貓。
You are a lucky mouse.
你是只幸運的老鼠。
MORAL: Mental comfort is more important than physical comfort.
寓意:精神安逸比物質充裕更重要。
Vocabulary
cozy adj. 舒適的,安逸的
kid v. 開玩笑
mousetrap n. 捕鼠器
sniff v. 聞;嗅
growl v. 咆哮