英語中帶有“ly”后綴的詞往往都是副詞,但是也有一些是形容詞,有的既是形容詞又是副詞;有的詞沒有“ly”后綴,卻既是形容詞也是副詞;有的詞不論有沒有“ly”后綴都是副詞。我們在學習英語過程中若不能認真對待這些詞,就會很容易引起混淆,分不清究竟哪個是形容詞,哪個是副詞。為了能夠正確地辨別這些形容詞和副詞,本文現將它們小結如下:
一、有“ly”后綴,不是副詞卻是形容詞
這樣的詞有:costly,curly,elderly,friendly,homely,lively,lonely,lovely,silly,timely,ugly等。
a dog with a curly tail卷尾巴的狗;an elderly couple一對老年夫婦
a warm and friendly person熱情友好的人;a homely child相貌普通的孩子
a silly question愚蠢的問題;an ugly face難看的面孔
an intelligent and lively young woman
聰慧而充滿活力的年輕女士
Buying new furniture may be too costly.
購買新家具可能會花錢太多。
She lives alone and often feels lonely.
她孑然一身,常感到寂寞。
He has a lovely voice.
他說話的聲音很好聽。
A nasty incident was prevented by the timely arrival of the police.
警察的及時到來阻止了一次嚴重的事故。
二、有“ly”后綴,既是副詞也是形容詞
這樣的詞有:daily,weekly,monthly,yearly,early,deadly,jolly,leisurely等。
This is a daily newspaper with news updated daily.
這是一份新聞天天更新的日報。
Early booking is essential as the best rooms go to those who book earliest.
務必早點預訂,因為最早預訂者可得最好的房間。
He was in a deadly serious condition since he was attacked by a deadly weapon.
由于受到致命武器的襲擊,他生命垂危。
It’s a jolly good idea to spend a jolly time with our foreign language teacher.
和我們的外語老師共享快樂的時光,這是個絕妙的主意。
They walked leisurely along the road at a leisurely pace.
他們步態悠閑地在路邊走著。
三、沒有“ly”后綴,既是形容詞也是副詞
這樣的詞有:clean,dead,direct,easy,fast,hard,pretty,straight等。
I clean forgot about the fact that it is your responsibility to keep the room clean and tidy.
我完全忘了保持房間整潔是你的職責。
Here is a dead dog indeed,and you are dead right.
這的確有一只死狗,你是完全正確的。
The direct plane goes direct from London to Houston without stopping.
這架直航飛機從倫敦起飛,直達休斯頓。
It’s really easy to remember the sentence “Easy come,easy go.”.
“來得容易去得快”這句話很好記。
Don’t drive so fast since we are out of the fast lane.
別把車開得這么快,因為我們已經駛出快車道了。
It’s hard to believe that he could work very hard to improve his English.
很難相信他會刻苦學習來提高英語。
I am pretty sure that you look so pretty in that dress.
我堅信你穿那件連衣裙定會非常漂亮。
The girl with long straight hair went straight back home after school.
那位頭發又長又直的女孩放學后直接回家了。
四、不論有沒有“ly”后綴,都是副詞
1.詞義相同。這樣的詞有loud/loudly,quick/quickly,slow/slowly,tight/tightly等。
Don’t talk so loud/loudly,or you’ll wake all the people up in the house.
不要大聲講話,不然你會把整個屋子里的人都吵醒的。
Come as quick/quickly as you can!
你盡快過來吧!
Can you speak slower/more slowly?
你說慢點行嗎?
My suitcase was packed tight/tightly.
我的箱子塞得滿滿的。
2.詞義不同。這樣的詞有free/freely,hard/hardly,late/lately等。
You can eat free in my restaurant whenever you like.
在我的餐館里,你可以隨時免費就餐。
You can speak freely——I won’t tell anyone what you say.
你想說什么就說什么,我不會把你說的話告訴別人的。
It was raining hard outside.
外面雨下得很大。
I hardly ever go to concert.
我很少去聽音樂會。
We arrived two hours late.
我們遲到了兩小時。
I haven’t heard from him lately.
我最近沒接到他的來信。
參考文獻:
?。?]章振邦.新編英語語法教程[M].上海:上海外語教育出版社,2003.
[2]Swan,M.Practical English Usage[M].Oxford:Oxford University Press,2005.